- The bleeding is mostly stopped/contained
- Evie has stayed off the ECMO
- The doctors and nurses are not overly worried about her vitals for now
- She's still with us!
- Evie still has two small defects that could hamper heart function (a small VSD and a leaky valve).
- Evie remains on a near maximum dosage of medication to maintain her blood pressure. If she struggles there is little room for them to do much else.
I don't know how well to articulate all this with written word, but we really dodged a bullet today. Going into the surgery Evie was not given very good odds and then when they still struggled to make a repair in the latter half of the surgery it seemed like "the end". We count her survival as a miracle and I think her doctors do too. The chief surgeon has always been very "matter of fact" with us and has never sugar coated Evie's status, but even he emerged from surgery very glad for the results.
For all this good news there is no getting around the fact that Evie remains in a treacherous position. Her surgeon, while happy with the results of her surgery, always is sure to remind us that "bad things could still happen." We know this, but we will still choose to be grateful. The next 48 hours will be telling. We'll update more later.