Friday, December 7, 2007
This morning the ultrasound technicians joined our team of doctors to take a look at Evie's heart while they turned down the flow on her ECMO. She's been holding steady between 300-330, her heart doing ca. 1/3rd of the work. When they first started the trial, they turned her down to 250 and took a look at her heart. At first they didn't see much good function so they upped some of her blood pressure meds. Within a few minutes they saw some improved function (not superb, but some good pumping in critical spots). They left her at 250 for another 45 minutes and then came back to look a second time, this time at a flow of 150. Again the heart had that same "okay" function. Blood pressures remained good and she was stable at that flow for about an hour. With all this, the doctors said it was fairly encouraging results but that they were not yet ready to take her off ECMO. The tentative plan is to give her a few more days rest at 250 (her heart doing about 40% of the work) and then try to take her off on Monday. Each day they will evaluate her. While deep down we hoped for a dramatic turn around, we also fully understand the caution the care team wants to take. It would do Evie no favors to withdraw her from bypass sooner than she was ready. If she would not do well after being withdrawn, there is very little hope that she could go back on a third time.